About Me

My photo
I have been creating things since I was old enough to hold a pencil, a crayon or a needle. You may be surprised what you find here.

Monday, November 29, 2010

A cousin and her horse and a contest


This is one of my earlier paintings, it is my cousin and her miniature horse. What you can't see, and couldn't in the reference photo either, is that she is on her knees.

We went to a family reunion on her island. Her husband is a lobsterman in Maine, and his family owns a small island in Penobscot Bay. They have built a small house there where they spend their summers with the dogs and two miniature horses that have the run of the island.

The family reunion was a great time, everyone brought food and soda, and they supplied all the lobster you could eat. Transportation was by lobster boat and everyone had a wonderful time. The horses added an interesting note to the day. You had to carefully guard your food from them as they were happy to come and eat off your plate if they could get away with it. It was the hardest for the little kids, as they couldn't hold the food out of the way. But even they enjoyed the challenge and the adults were there to help make sure the little ones did have the opportunity to eat.

The painting brings back memories of a great day spent with family. My family is very large and fairly spread out, so it's rare that we have the opportunity to get together, and it's been years and years since everyone has been together. Even at this event, lots of folks were not able to make it.

Since we just had Thanksgiving, and thanksgiving is a time for family and friends, I thought it was a wonderful time to share this painting of a happy family memory.

Now for the contest part of the blog.

I am going to give away one of my paintings to someone who reads this blog. All you need to do is to sign up as a follower (current followers will also be included). I will put all of the names in a bowl, we will draw the name on New Years Day.

Also, I am going to start taking commissions for pet portraits in the spring, so if this is something you are interested, please be sure to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment